IPTV is the abbreviated form of Internet Protocol Television. As indicated by the name, this is basically a system where television services are delivered digitally over the internet using the internet protocol. Televisions are considered to be one of the prime sources of entertainment. With the passage of time there has been a great advancement the technology and with the use of this technology newer display varieties as well as the content over the channels of television are enhancing the experience of the users on a continuous basis. In this twenty-first century, the internet and mobile technologies have played a revolutionary role for the entire civilization.
The Working of IPTV
In the Internet Protocol Television, the various video channels and programs are delivered to the television sets with the help of a broadband connection instead of delivering it through the conventional way with the use cable or broadcast formats. There are numerous IPTV providers who provide digital television service to the homes of the customers. It is extremely easy and convenient to avail this IPTV service and there are just two requirements for this which are as mentioned below.
- Set Top Box
- IPTV subscription
The streams of videos are encoded into a series of packets of internet protocols. After that they are carried out to the homes of customers through internet means that are received by the set to boxes with an active IPTV subscription. This is very beneficial for the customers since this IPTV generally comes bundled with VoIP for voice calls and access to the internet at the same time. Thus, it very rightly named as “Triple Play” service. This comes as a complete package to the customer and all of which are extremely important in each and every home. The package includes:
- Watching of different channels on the television
- Browsing the internet with ease
- Making long distance calls mostly ISD calls at extremely low-cost
All the services of the package are provided by an IPTV service provider who used a network infrastructure that is closed.
The Protocols Used
There are three basic types of internet protocols that are used in forecasting Internet Protocol Television are as mentioned below.
- Hyper Text Transfer Protocol abbreviated as HTTP. This is the internet protocol that is used by the browsers for communication with the servers and the computers for the transfer of data.
- IP Group Membership Protocol abbreviated as IGMP. The version 2 of this internet protocol is used by the live television for connecting to the television sets in the homes of customers with the multicast stream and switching to another multicast streams
- Real Time Streaming Protocolabbreviated as RTSP. This is the internet protocol that is used for the video on demand services.
Thus, this is how the complete Internet Protocol Television works by the use of different types of internet protocols and is digitally transferred to the homes of different customers with utmost ease, convenience speed and most importantly at low-cost.